Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Sometimes we don't need words!

Our friends at the farm up the road are hosting some Solomon Islanders who have travelled to Australia for World Youth Day. Most of them were having a fun time, laughing and joking and talking with their host family. One of islanders was a young girl who was feeling very lonely. I watched her for a long time. She was quiet and shy and very homesick. You could tell by the way she sat, not joining in, looking down, sad eyes. Everyone else thought she was tired, or maybe ill. I knew that wasn't true. She just needed love and reassurance.

I went and sat near her. Then I got a bit closer, and a bit closer. Finally I was sitting right beside her, so that we were touching. I put my head in her lap and wagged my tail. Then I licked her hand and smiled at her. She put her hand down and patted me, and together we made friends, without having to say any words to each other. Soon she didn't feel so lonely. We could think about each other and have an understanding of each other's emotions. We could establish a non-verbal connection. A connection just based on feelings and touch. Now with a friend at her side the young girl was brave enough look around the room. She could venture a smile at someone, or offer an answer to one of their questions. I stayed near her so she felt safe, and by the time I left to come home she was talking and laughing with the others and I knew she would be alright. Sometimes we don't need words - we just need to be kind and patient and aware, and to radiate love into the world. To be a friend who doesn't speak or judge but who is supportive and who listens with their heart. That's one of the gifts we dogs can share with you - but it's also one you can learn to do for yourselves.

Learning: To be a friend you need to open your heart. Patience has its own rewards, and sometimes words just get in the way. One of the greatest gifts we can give others is just to be present and to listen, and to care. Much can be said in silence.

1 comment:

hamish said...

Charlie I am enjoying reading your blog each day and finding it very encouraging. I am particularly interested in this communing without words and would love you to help us humans get the hang of it a lot better. You seem to do it so easily, is that because you observe quietly first? Please talk more on this subject.....