Friday, August 8, 2008

Learning to say NO!

Sometimes my human Dad says 'NO!' If he says no, he means no. And often he doesn't give an explanation. The bit in Blue below is the only bit I hear, and it's the only bit I need to know.

NO - I can't get off the back of the truck! (There are snakes in the grass and Dad is worried I'll get bitten but I just want to run around)

NO - SIT (I want to cross the road but a car is coming)

NO - STAY (It's dangerous in the cattleyards and I don't want you to frighten the calves)

As my best friend it is very important that my Dad can say NO for my own good, even if I don't like it. You can't be a true friend if you say yes all the time.

Sometimes I want to play and Dad says NO. He doesn't want to play right now. That's okay. I can come back and ask again later and maybe he'll say YES.

Why is it that so many humans find it hard to say NO, and always feel that if they do, they should explain themselves? Sometimes humans say YES when they mean NO, and you can see on their faces and in their body language that they're worried about what other people will think if they say NO. There are humans who will take advantage of other humans who can't say NO. Even dogs will. I know there are some people that I can keep pestering and eventually they will give me a pat, or a piece of their dinner, just to make me go away. If they'd said NO firmly and meant it, I would have just left them alone. Isn't that better than spending your whole life doing what you don't want to do?

Learning: Remember, it's OK to say NO. Ask any two year old human. They love using the word NO because they understand the power of it. Not good at it? Then stand in front of the mirror and repeat after me. No. NO. No! Nooooooo. Nup. NO!
Woof! Now you've got it. I'm proud of you - so go use this new skill. It will make life much easier.

No comments: